We all know that dates have countless benefits. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) used to break his fasts with them and Muslims around the world follow this practice today. So while we gobble down a couple of dates before moving to the next bowl of fruits, we should know that the sweet dates we just swallowed have some spiritual benefits too.
Yes, there are benefits of dates – other than the religious value – that most of us don’t know about. This post is all about revealing those to you. Dates are amongst those super foods that have been consumed since ancient times. They go all the way back to the time when the pyramids were created. Dates were also a source of nourishment for the mother of Prophet Isa (PBUH) when she was giving a miracle birth and have been among the favorite foods of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). There are some ancient health secrets hidden in dates and some of them even baffle modern science. Find yourself interested? Let’s begin with the nutritional benefits of dates.
The following are some nutritional benefits of dates:
Nutritional benefits of Dates
- Dates are good for fat loss as they are cholesterol-free, sodium-free and fat-free.
- Despite having high sweetness, one date only contains 23 calories
- Dates have vitamin A and various B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, pantothenic acid and vitamin B-6. These are necessary for building muscles and healthy body tissues.
- Dates contain 15 beneficial minerals such as iron, magnesium, phosphorous, calcium, copper, and potassium. These are beneficial in improving the functioning of the nervous system and muscles.
- A single date contains more potassium than a banana (per weight)
- Dates are packed with dietary soluble and insoluble fiber and have been known to reduce the risk of certain cancers.
- Dates can control blood sugar levels
- Dates contain tannins that contribute to its dark color. Tannins gives dates the highest concentration antioxidants, per serving size among other dried fruits, and can also fight heart disease and cancer.
Apart from the nutritional benefits, dates also have healing properties.
Dates and their healing properties
You must have heard this age-old adage ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’. In the Islamic world, this saying can be adapted to ‘seven dates a day keeps even the witchdoctor away.’ This is because, eating seven Ajwa dates every morning can save you from being affected by magic. This practice also helps you in detoxifying your body and ridding it from all poisons.
Narrated from Sa‘d ibn Abi Waqqaas that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever eats seven ‘ajwah dates in the morning, will not be harmed by any poison or witchcraft that day.”
Al-Bukhaari (5445) and Muslim (2047)
The above mentioned hadith has, sadly, been misinterpreted by modern-day cynics. People, due to their poor understanding of the Arabic language have taken the translation of the hadith literally. The poison in this hadith refers to the toxins that accumulate inside the body.
In general, this hadith says that the consumption of a handful of dates on a daily basis is really good for overall well-being. But all dates are not the same. Some are better than the others and ‘Ajwa’ is a special variety of dates that is grown exclusively in the Madina (Saudi Arabia). Ajwa contains more benefits than normal dates and its seed can be used to cure heart diseases as well. There are narrations of prominent companions that say that the consumption of seven Ajwa dates everyday can even cure magic and possession of the Jinn.
Authentic Ajwa dates from Medina are small in size, much wrinkled and quite hard to find. This is why buying Ajwa dates is pretty hard and most people end up with the counterfeit Ajwas. Thankfully, Darussalam provides people with authentic Ajwa in all its showrooms. You can also order them online here.
If you are worrying about the price of Ajwa dates, let’s put your worries to rest here. Buying counterfeit dates at a lower price will do you no good and actually cause harm. It’s best that you buy the genuine products at the right price from Darussalam as they will enable you to active the true benefits of this miracle fruit.
Below are three ahadith that further explain the significance of Ajwa dates:
- Sa’d told of hearing Allah’s Messenger say, “He who has a morning meal of seven ‘ajwa dates will not suffer harm that day through toxins or magic.” (Bukhari, Hadith 5327 and Muslim, Hadith 3814)
- ‘Aisha reported Allah’s Messenger as saying, “The ‘ajwah dates of al-‘Aliya contain healing, and they are an antidote (when taken as) first thing in the morning.” (Muslim, Hadith 3815)
- ‘Aisha reported Allah’s Messenger as saying, “The ‘ajwah dates of al-‘Aliya taken as the first thing in the morning, in the state of fasting; contain healing for all (kinds of) magic or toxins.” (Musnad Ahmad, Hadith 23592)
Below are listed a number of healing properties of dates in general and laid out by the contemporary scientific researches.
- Dates cleanse the body:
Regular intake of dates at right times can help eliminate bodily toxins.
- Dates cure constipation:
Dates are rich in fiber and are widely used for curing constipation.
- Dates cure hangover:
Dates contain vitamins that eliminate hangovers.
- Dates help with weight management:
Dates satisfy hunger and help greatly with weight-loss.
- Dates are good for growing children:
Being a powerhouse of nutrients and the fact that dates are easily digested, they are considered as the perfect food source for young and growing children.
If you are missing dates in your diet, you are missing one of the best blessings of Allah. Eat dates for your physical and spiritual wellbeing.by